Fall and winter insurance checklist

October 8th, 2014 by admin

As we head into the Fall and Winter months, many Canadians want to know what is covered and not covered by their homeowners policy. Global News addresses some of these common questions. 

Most standard home insurance policies cover damages stemming from snow, rain or wind, which sometimes cause debris and falling trees. Irene Ogrodnik of The Globe and Mail adds that: "A collapse of a structure, such as your roof, due to the weight of ice or snow is also often covered under a standard home insurance policy."

Also, many customers ask about compensation for living expenses should their homes become unlivable due to severe weather events. The Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) states that often homeowners in this category can be eligible for additional living expenses. It is important to discuss your policy with home insurance brokers.

In terms of weather-related damages to vehicles, the IBC explains that comprehensive or all-perils car insurance often provide coverage. You should discuss the specifics of your policy with your individual carrier.

One area we should note—not typically covered by most homeowners insurance—is damages from floods, prompted by melted snow or ice during the winter. Pipes that freeze and burst are not always covered by your policy, yet it is crucial to check with your insurance company for your complete information.

As a homeowner, you can also take steps to winterize your home. These include putting salt on the walkways and driveways and ensuring that skylights, windows and other openings in your home have weather stripping to guard against incoming snow melt. 

For more information on how to prepare your home or car for the colder weather, contact Fundy Mutual. Visit our website for a free insurance quote online, and you'll also be entered into Fundy Mutual's Trip of a Lifetime Contest