How to best deal with heavy rain and wind

October 2nd, 2014 by admin

The Insurance Bureau of Canada recently issued a press release in response to the high winds and rainy weather sweeping parts of Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador over the past 24 hours.

The Bureau emphasized that residents should contact their insurance provider to confirm what their policy covers, find out how to reduce damages as well as to report damages. 

Keep in mind that most standard home insurance policies do not cover flooding-related damages. However, home insurance policies do cover a wide breadth of damages, including:

  • Wind-related damages due to storms
  • Damages to your house due to fallen trees, while some policies also cover debris clean-up expenses 
  • Damages from rain though a broken window or damaged roof are often covered, but you should check with your provider.
  • Freezer items lost due to long power outages are typically covered, but you should confirm this with your provider.

The Bureau offers additional advice for homeowners. First, make sure to document damages through taking photos or video of your property. Second—and only if it's safe at the time—homeowners can begin the clean-up process to prevent further damages. This may include boarding up holds and removing items from a wet basement. 

Fundy Mutual is based in Sussex, New Brunswick so we understand that Atlantic Canada is susceptible to major weather events. As a member owned and directed company, our top priority is to provide and maintain protection for the people in our communities. We take pride in helping find you the right home & auto insurance policies for your needs.