Take it or leave it: Keeping your totaled car

June 28th, 2015 by admin

After your car is declared totaled, you have a few possible courses of action.

You may decide that you want to keep the car and repair it yourself or keep it for parts. This may be possible if you have the legal right to do it, which you should if you own the car outright. However, just because it is possible doesn't mean that it is the smartest choice. If you decide to keep your vehicle after it has been declared a total loss, you need to alert your insurance provider immediately.

Most providers will compensate you equal to the car's value before the accident, minus the sum of your deductible and the salvage value. Beyond this payout, it is up to you to sell the parts or repair it in order to see more value. If the damage was largely cosmetic in nature, you may be able to restore the car back to a safe, drivable condition without it costing you an arm and a leg.

Keep in mind that some regions and car insurance companies may not allow you to keep your vehicle after it is announced a total loss. You will have to do research and ask your agent for the regulations specific to your circumstance. Also know that some insurers won't insure a car if another company has already declared it to be totaled. If you decide to keep it, the amount you receive from the settlement will most likely be less because the insurance company may deduct the car's salvage value.

Protect yourself before an accident by having the best car insurance in Saint John. Contact Fundy Mutual for information regarding our car repair insurance.